This page hopefully will help you fill out your character that you play at faire. You don't
have to have answers for all these questions. You don't get grilled by customers for this
information. So why should I know this stuff, you ask. The information by itself is not all that
important, but what it does is help you determine how your character will react in a given
situation. And that's what's important. For some of these questions, I have links
to help decide the answers.
Please remember that at faires we try and show what it probably looked like back then. Go for
the standard, not the exception. No one was raised by wolves or fairies. No one is a princess
that is in hiding or a young prince running away from home.
- What's your first name? (Help me!)
- What's your last name?
- When were you born?
- Don't pick an age too far away from your own. If anything pick an age a few years younger
than you are now. The times were tough, and I'll bet it showed on your face.
- Where are you from?
- This probably answers "where were you born?" as well. People didn't travel that much
back then. If you're a peasant, you were probably born in the very village where the faire
is being held. Same if you're a merchant, but you might have moved away from your original
village to start your own business. If you're a nobleman/woman, you're probably touring with
- What's your trade?
- I'll have a list available some time. If you're a woman, then you're 90% likely to be a
If you're a man, then things are a bit different. If you're a peasant, then you're probably
a farmer. Make sure you know what crops (wheat, corn, etc) you tend. If you're a merchant, then
you probably belong to a guild. There are a few unguilded trades as well. There's no such thing
as a full-time soldier.
- What's your religion?
- This is a very important question. It also depends on who the reigning monarch is.
Basically, your choices are:
You can play a Catholic in Protestant times, and vice versa, but unless you're a noble, you
could find yourself swinging from a treelimb.
- Protestant (Henry VIII, Elizabeth)
- Catholic (Mary)
- What's your father's name?
- What does your father do?
- What's your mother's name?
- What are the names of your brothers and sisters?
- Which siblings are younger and which are older?
- What are the names of your grandparents? Are they still alive?
- Are you married? Who is she/he?
- Do you have any kids? How many? What are their names? What are they like?
- What's your best/worst childhood memories?
- Who is your best friend?
- What is your favorite color?
- What is your favorite possession?
- If you were given a shilling, what would you do with it?
- Do you gamble? What's your favorite game?
- What's worth dying for?
- What makes you happy? sad? angry? embarrassed? afraid?
- What's your worst habit?
- What's your motto?